Votausi Mackenzie-Reur's Quick Bunia
1 kg Chicken Wings or a small whole Chicken
250 g White or Purple Yams (Peeled and diced)
250 g Pumpkin (Peeled and diced, seeds removed)
250 g Choko or Beans (If using Choko: Peeled and diced)
12-16 leaves Island Cabbage (chopped roughly)-Silverbeet can be substituted here
100 g Tomatoes (cut into wedges)
1 large onion (roughly chopped)
4 cloves garlic
1 thumb of Ginger (finely chopped)
1 thumb fresh Turmeric (finely chopped)
5 stalks Chinese Coriander (finely chopped)
1 frond of Curry leaves (finely chopped)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
2 Brown Coconuts ( 1 cup coconut cream and 1 cup coconut milk)
For the Garnish:
6-10 Curry Leaves (fried)
1 tbsp Chopped Chinese Coriander
1 tbsp chopped Spring Onion
Fresh chopped Chilli
- Wash the chicken wings or cut the whole chicken into small pieces and put aside.
- Peel yam, pumpkin and beans and chop into pieces roughly all the same size.
- Wash island cabbages and tie them with their stalks or roughly chop them up.
- Prepare all the spices (garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander) and finely chop them and put them aside.
- Grate the coconuts and prepare the coconut cream.
- Place chicken pieces, yam, pumpkin, and spices in a heavy saucepan and add enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. Add Salt and pepper, put the lid on the pot and bring to the boil then turn down the heat to low for a slow cook for 15 minutes.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked add the beans and island cabbage and 1 cup of light
coconut milk. Allow this to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Finally add Chopped fresh tomatoes and add the thick coconut cream. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened then turn off heat.
- Serve in a deep-dish platter: Layer the root vegetables, then the vegetables and finally the chicken on the top, pour all the sauce over. Garnish with fried curry leaves, chopped coriander and spring onions. Serve immediately with fresh chili and squeeze of lemon juice. Bon Appetite!!