Josh and Nox's Tutu Ika with Pekepeke
Ingredients for the Tutu Ika:
2 x 200g mahimahi steaks (or tuna is also good)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
½ cup virgin coconut oil
2 lemons, juiced
Salt and pepper for seasoning
2 kaloa’a (shellfish – mussels or cockles would work also)
2 to’o (shellfish – mussels or cockles would work also)
A few sprigs of limu to garnish
Ingredients for the Pekepeke:
1 breadfruit (ripe)
1 tsp virgin coconut oil
Salt and pepper to season
Method for the Tutu Ika:
- Mix crushed garlic, diced onions, coconut oil and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Add fish steaks, marinade and stand for 15 minutes.
- Grill marinated mahimahi on BBQ for 5 minutes each side.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil, add kaloa’a and to’o till until the shellfish open.
- Set aside.
Method for the Pekepeke:
- Place whole breadfruit on open flame, turn as needed, until the entire skin is black.
- Remove breadfruit from the flame and peel.
- Then mash the peeled breadfruit using another breadfruit (or masher).
- Season and add coconut oil - the oil keeps it from sticking.
- Season and set aside.
- Place pekepeke on plate with fish steak on top.
- Top with kaloa’a and to’o.
- Garnish with limu (seagrapes) and lemon.
- Serve with stir-fried vegetables.