Pacific Island Food Revolution in partnership with the Pacific Environmental Journalists Network Tonga present
PACIFIC MEDIA REVOLUTION - TONGA
10-11 April 2019, Venue: Davinas
Pacific Media Masterclass
- Learn about the dynamic media approach of the Pacific Island Food Revolution
- Meet the people behind the scenes
- Sharpen up on your photography and digital storytelling skills
- Get the secrets of Social Media Strategy
- Enter the Pacific Media Revolution Awards with stories generated from the workshop
Pacific Media Revolution Awards
All stories generated as a result of the workshop will go into the following awards:
- Best national print story
- Best national radio/TV story
- Best national digital story
- Supreme National story (all categories)
- Supreme Pacific story (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu)
A revolution starts with the minds – the Pacific Island Food Revolution is starting with Pacific people leading the way with their ancient and innovative food knowledge, a wealth of fresh, organic ingredients sourced from local farms and all in front of TV cameras. The media-driven programme is launching in April 2019. It responds to a situation where Pacific island life expectancy and infant mortality have improved greatly over the last 25 years, but lifestyle diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure account for half of premature deaths. Pacific Media Revolution offers journalists behind-the-scenes insights, practical skills and strategies used by the Revolution. The Pacific Media Revolution trainings will be held in Fiji, Tonga, Vanuatu and Tonga.
Pacific Island Food Revolution recognises the goals of the Pacific Environment Journalist Network are in alignment with its value: “To Show Kindness to the environment – land and water”. PEJN goals are:
(a) To increase the quality and quantity of environmental reporting in the Pacific.
(b) To promote the importance of the environment and climate change.
(c) To build an environmental conscious society among the people of the region through excellent environmental journalism.
(d) To strengthen collaboration with local, regional and international organisations.
(e) To safeguard and build the capacity of its members on environmental reporting.
Pacific Island Food Revolution is jointly funded by the governments of Australia (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - innovationXchange) and New Zealand (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade - Aid Programme). The views expressed in this program do not necessarily reflect those of the Australian and New Zealand governments.
Call for Applications
We are now calling for applications from Tonga-based journalists to participate in the Pacific Media Revolution - Tonga. The deadline for applications is close of business Tonga 8 April 2019.
Please email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Being part of the Pacific Media Revolution will allow for you to provide media coverage for your company, we will also be sharing some of the stories developed by the Pacific Media Revolution through www.pacificislandfoodrevolution.com and PIFR and PEJN social media pages and distribution lists.
The two-day media training will require the development of at least two stories by the participants over the two days.
Upon completion of Pacific Media Revolution, we will award certificates and continue to work with you to help strengthen your capacity through different avenues available to us.
We are now seeking applications to attend this event which will require the following:
- A completed application form
- A letter from your editor confirming all news developed by the entrant will be
- The agreement for a selection of stories to be shared by PIFR and PEJN for regional distribution in which we will include your byline and the name of your media organisation and link to it.
- Your own laptop, recorder or camera to allow you to participate. For the digital storytelling a smartphone is a must.
We will provide a daily stipend, lunch meals will be catered for and support will be provided for communications and transport.
By completing and submitting this form, I understand all expectations required of me if selected and if selected I agree to having my stories shared by PIFR and PEJN, noting they will use my byline and name of media organisation.
Note – this application form MUST be accompanied with the following:
- A letter from your Editor outlining support for your application and commitment to publish/broadcast stories submitted by you from 4 – 8 April 2019.
- A recent profile photo.
For all enquiries, contact
Faumuina Felolini Maria Tafunai
Global Communications Director
Pacific Island Food Revolution